North Chicago, IL
Salary: $18,000.00 /year
AmeriCorps Construction Aide
Entry Level – Full Time Temporary Position for 12 months
Reports to Construction Site Manager
This position provides an education award of $6095 as well as a salary of $18,000. This position is made possible through the AmeriCorps Program: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
Daily Construction Responsibilities:
- Ensure safety on all work-sites.
- Drive students to construction site.
- Help Site Manger to ensure trainees have on appropriate safety gear and use tools correctly. Help to ensure trainees have tools, boots and safety equipment before leaving for site.
- Assist in teaching Construction Theory. Help prepare materials, grade papers, and prepare learning activities. Coordinate with AmeriCorps Instructional Intern.
- Help Site Manager to ensure quality of YB construction work.
- Help Site Manager train the trainees in correct construction methods.
- Research materials and cost for construction projects.
- Ensure van has gas
- Attend community enhancement events.
- Work on site with trainees- anticipated 4 days per week.
Administrative/ Program Responsibilities:
- Must have valid drivers license, safe driving record and maintain safe driving record. Must be approved by insurance company to drive van and students.
- Drive students to GED testing and other appointments as needed. Drive students to and from construction site.
- Attend field trips, and other events with students and staff.
- Motivate and encourage trainees to attend and achieve. Apply discipline as necessary to uphold YB rules. Build relationship with trainees.
- Read and learn program policies and procedures so that the Construction Career Team is aligned with other teams and agency runs effectively and efficiently.
- Assist in helping prepare community enhancement projects. Coordinate with AmeriCorps Community Outreach Intern.
- Participate in all aspects of program including All Student, All Staff meetings, morning meetings, staff meetings.
- Participate in weekly construction team meetings to keep all related staff on track.
- Assist in all aspects of agency programming as needed.