North Chicago, IL 60064
Salary: $23,600.00 /year
About YouthBuild Lake County
YouthBuild Lake County is an education and career training program for youth ages 17-24. Students enter our program to earn a high school diploma through the Penn Foster online diploma program while also learning marketable career skills and certifications so they can enter the workforce.
- Assist with job readiness training to all YouthBuild participants
- Assist Instructor with facilitation of classroom activities to support skill acquisition in Career Readiness components; substitute for Instructor when necessary
- Provide guidance to all YouthBuild participants about possible careers and college placement
- Assist in planning of professional development events such as professional guest speakers, mock interviews, career exploration panel discussions, college preparation workshops, field trips, etc.
- Identity opportunities to expose students to various professional occupations
- Assist students in assessing an appropriate career pathway to pursue utilizing online career assessment tools and personal interviews
Post-Secondary Exploration and Navigation
- Assist staff in delivering the curriculum/instruction of Mental Toughness 2 program
- Identify viable opportunities to trade and/or community college programs for YBLC participants
- Coordinate visits to trade schools, community colleges, and four-year institutions
- Collaborate with other program staff to ensure students complete FAFSA, ACT/SAT testing, CLC enrollment and placement testing
- Assist students in discovering and utilizing tools necessary to successfully earn career credentials
- Provide support to students from enrollment to completion of post-secondary or vocational classes as a YouthBuild Career Access/Year 2 student, including but not limited to College certification courses and online learning courses
- Assist students in navigating requirements and registration process for certification exams
- Monitor student progress in PSE and vocational pathways
- Keep and report up-to-date student case notes regarding student transitions activity
- Assist staff and students in identifying resources for academic support, resources and tutoring
Job Training and Placement
- Coordinate participant trips for tours and job shadowing for exposure to various careers
- Collect student documentation regarding internships, work-experience, placement, and follow up
- Adhere to the highest standards concerning student confidentiality and individual respect
- Collaborate with all staff to achieve or exceed program goals and outcomes
- General administrative tasks including filing, printing, faxing, data entry, etc.
- Valid state driver’s license and good driving record
- Transport students for training and events as needed
- Represent YBLC in a professional manner at all times
- Serve as a member of the YBLC staff team by sharing ideas and concerns regarding member success and program quality
- Work in harmony with all YBLC staff, volunteers, contractors, and community partners
- Attend staff training and meetings
- Participate in YouthBuild Lake County, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities
- Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Make A Difference Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week
- Promote service learning within the classroom
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s Degree preferred.
- Previous experience in an administrative role.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Desire to work with culturally diverse students from 17-24 years old.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment.