North Chicago, IL 60064
Salary: $15.00 to $17.00 /hour
Academic Success Coach
YouthBuild Lake County is seeking to fill a temporary position to be a motivator and coach as students approach the end of their program year. If you are service minded, enjoy mentoring, and are eager to help youth turn their lives around for success, this is the job for you.
Full Time /Temporary
Reports to Program Director
The Academic Success Coach oversees and motivates students to complete a high school diploma and other credential preparation programs through online classes . The Academic coach will also plan lessons for career readiness and life skills classes for YouthBuild students.
- Ensure quality and consistency in delivering required components of education programs.
- Work with other YouthBuild programs, community and county departments to partner and collaborate on engaging educational content.
- Acts as a liaison to other departments regarding education, literacy/numeracy testing, program progression and student outcomes.
- Participate in training for education programs and YouthBuild supported meetings.
- Research and recommend programs, goals, and objectives for education programs
- Create and maintain current policies and procedures as they relate to students obtaining their high school diploma
- Facilitate the Penn Foster program by enrolling students and maintaining accurate records including high school transcript documentation
- Develop and implement project based learning lessons so students acquire a deeper knowledge through active exploration of real-world challenges and problems.
- Provide learning support to students through academic classes including blended instruction
- Reinforce math concepts learned in construction program
- Ensure academic integrity
- Develop Digital Portfolio guidelines and oversee student completion of presentations
- Oversee and coordinate Financial Literacy component of the YouthBuild program
- Coordinate with Wellness Program to integrate key life skill components into programming
Career Pathways Education
- Deliver or assist in delivery of various career pathway curriculum
- Deliver Career Readiness educational units
- Ensure cross disciplinary curriculum alignment in collaboration with peers and under the oversight of the Program Director
- Oversee or schedule training for occupational certification including but not limited to forklift, CPR/First Aid training classes, OSHA 10, NCCER, etc.
- Assist students in navigation of career pathway education in the transition phase
- Adhere to the highest standards concerning student confidentiality and individual respect
- Collaborate with all staff to achieve or exceed program goals and outcomes
- General administrative tasks including filing, printing, faxing, data entry, etc.
- Valid state driver’s license and good driving record
- Transport students for training and events as needed
- Represent YBLC in a professional manner at all times
- Serve as a member of the YBLC staff team by sharing ideas and concerns regarding member success and program quality
- Work in harmony with all YBLC staff, volunteers, contractors, and community partners
- Attend staff training and meetings
- Support agency as needed: donor events, mentoring students, service events, Mental Toughness, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Associates Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years previous experience in instruction, training, tutoring, education, and workforce development.
- Preferred curriculum/instructional plan development.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Enthusiasm for teaching a culturally diverse student population from 17-24 years old.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment.